3.16.2014

{ charity at a stop light }


I heard a talk a while ago about judging.  
The speaker suggested that when someone acts in a way
that appears to us to be less than saintly, 
we should think of the most magnanimous explanation 
for their behavior.
For example, we're cut off in traffic.  The explanation could be that the driver
is rushing to the hospital to see his baby born.
The speaker pointed out that we can't change situations
BUT we can change how we feel about them.
This thought has helped me in many situations.  
I will admit that one circumstance was so bizarre
that the only magnanimous explanation I could come up with was
that the person had an inoperable brain tumor and couldn't help herself.

Saturday, I was headed to Pleasant Grove to watch grandchildren 
while their parents and sister attended a 'Daddy Daughter' date.
I had a lot on my mind as I stopped at the end of my street and waited
for a speeding car coming up the hill to go by.
I pulled out after it zipped by but must have forgotten to look right
one more time before I did.

As I went to pull in to the 'driver's' lane, I was met with a looonnnggg honk.
I quickly turned left and watched as a car passed me on my right.
I unknowingly had almost sideswiped a car.  Deep breath.


At the bottom of the hill, the light had turned red.  
I was now waiting side by side with the car 
that had honked.  I debated about whether to look over 
and mouth 'Sorry' or just keep looking ahead.  
I decided to look over and saw the driver motioning 
me to roll down my window.  I did.

And then, at the red light, I was shown charity.  
The driver explained that she wasn't being rude 
when she honked, she just wanted to warn me 
and avoid an accident.  I explained that clearly 
I didn't see her and was so sorry that I had almost 
caused an accident.  She acknowledged that she knew 
I hadn't seen her and was just glad 
that we were both okay.
The light turned green and we were on our way.

Charity at a red light.  What a great way to start your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment